Friday, January 13, 2023

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks - Week 1 - I'd like to Meet - Hannah Eck

 So why would I want to meet my 3rd great grandmother - Hannah Eck?  Because I don't know who her parents are and it is driving my crazy.  Hannah Eck was born 13 Feb 1791 and died on 1 May 1862 in Columbia County, Pennsylvania.  She married my ancestor John Sands (1788 - 1858) about 1810 and were the parents of 7 children that we know of.   The Sands were a prominent family in Columbia County and several of her grandchildren were written up in Battle's History of Columbia and Montour Counties (1887).  She is even mentioned in some of the articles and in one it states she came from an early Briar Creek family and her father was a plasterer before he moved there and retired.

I have searched dand searched for her family and have gethered a ton of Eck/Egg genealogy but have no conclusive evidence of her family.  But...well I do have some guesses that my dear ancestor Hannah could verify for me.  I have found one Eck family in Columbia County - a woman I presume is the mother (Catherine) and 4 sons:

John Eck b. about 1774 and d. 8 July 1833 in Loyalstock, Lycoming, PA

Joseph Eck b. abt 1777-1787 and d. about 27 Oct 1855 in Berwick, Columbia, PA

David Eck b. about 1780

Samuel Eck b. 15 Nov 1786 and d. 12 Jul 1870 in Catawissa, Columbia, PA

This family is found in a series of land grants that were given out by the Penn family to early settlers of the colony.  This family filed several ajacient claims along Fishing and Loyalstock Creeks.  The following hand-drawn map shows these properties.


This map show the 5 adjacent grants given out to Catherine, John, Joseph and a Peter Eck.  I have no idea who Peter is at this point.

But since this is the only Eck family in Columbia county in the time of Hannah Eck they have to be related to her.

So Hannah - when you are ready for me just say the word and we will get together!

#52Ancestors

No comments: