Friday, February 3, 2023

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks - Week 4 - Education - Helen Alcesta Sands #52Ancestors


 My grandmother, Helen Alcesta Sands Hale, was the first person in my extended family that I have found who had more than a high school education.

She was born and raised in Columbia County, Pennsylvania.  After high school she decided to go to nursing school at a hospital in Philadelphia.  It as fortunate for me that she did this as one of her patients was a young man, Claude Irvin Hale, who had lung problems from working in coal mines and had been sent to the hospital for medical care.  Claude and Helen hit it off and in time they were married.

When I was young my father was insistent that I go to college and not let anything stand in the way.  As far as his side of the family was concerned no one had ever gone to college and that was his (and my mother's dream.)

No comments: