Monday, August 5, 2013

Vacation Day 13 (Denver and Louisville, CO)

Sunday (August 4) – Trip Day 13 – (Denver and Louisville, CO) – We got up early and attended church in Louisville, CO, which is a suburb of Denver.  I chose that ward to attend as it is in the same town as where my “cousin” Rusty Givens lives. We spent a little over 12 hours at his house as he is a fabulous Givens research and though we are not actually related (as DNA tells us) he has a ton of information on my Givens line.  In fact he had a long table laid out with piles of research on my line and took most of the day to go through all this and indicate what I would like. 


 The bar with all our computers on it.

Rusty then scanned all of this (about a quarter of a gigabyte of data and put it on my flash drive.  I, in turn, taught him how to use familysearch.org for the first time.  I helped him put in his line until the pedigree began to appear, how to correct  and add information, and how to add photos and sources.  It was kind of fun as we spent most of the day sitting at the bar in his basement going over things.  His whole basement is devoted to genealogy.  He has made 12 trips to Ireland and may have found where my Givens line comes from – though we need DNA from someone there to verify it.
Rusty at the scanner.

 The Givens researchers - Bob and Rusty.

 Rusty had many relics from his early ancestors but this was the real treasure.  It is a quilt made about 1780 - one of only 15 or so that still exist.  It has been appraised at $30,000.

Anyway, after a long day we finally stumbled into our hotel room after 10:30 PM.  We were both pleased with this day though – I got tons of new information and Barbara spent most of the day working on her German genealogy.


 


No comments: