Monday, October 4, 2010

Day 7 - Cooperstown - Baseball Hall of Fame

Cooperstown is a relaxing hour and a half from nowhere (in this case Albany) through beautiful rolling land. It was enjoyable to drive the highways here. They aren't as crowded as in California. People drive the speed limit - the Highway Patrol enforces the speed limit and the drivers generally obey.


Now we were here on October 3rd so we weren't in the real tourist season of the year but the place was crowded and parking was hard to find. We asked about what it is like in the summer and the natives would only say "crazy." OK, so a life-time dream is about to come true. The size of the Hall of Fame isn't really that big but it can take hours to go through it all. It is a lot more than just the plaques. I have plenty more pictures than we will post here. (Oh, yes, if you are a Yankee fan you will be in heaven here. There is just a little home town bias here.)


I have a lot of pictures but I feel this is memorable as this is the oldest existing baseball ever used in a real game. Used back in 1854 - that is 156 years ago.

Ask me who my all-time favorite player is and I would tell you #4 - Duke Snider - center fielder for the Booklyn and LA Dodgers. I actually met him in Tucson as a youngster and have an autographed picture of his. The above picture is full of momentos of his career.
Did Mom have fun? I actually think she enjoyed this - especially when she ran into a way to get back to Wrigley Field. You name it and they have it here. From Abbott and Costello doing "Who's on First" to tons of baseballs, equipment, pictures, and on and on. In fact they can only show a tiny portion of all that they do have. They can only display 10% of the things they own.


I'll end our tour of the Hall of Fame with this picture. Look at it closely and see if you can find what is wrong here - besides me pretending to catch bare handed. BTW - the last major leaguer to play without a glove played in the 1890's.

1 comment:

Laura Keith said...

My goodness! I miss a few days and you post a ton! Would the baseball player at the right be stepping with the wrong foot? Who is he? I'm not as big into baseball as you! Looks like it was a lot of fun!